With juicy, honey-sweetened peaches effervescent away beneath a borderline irresponsible quantity of toasty, buttery oat topping, this simple Peach Crisp pushes the topping-to-fruit ratio to absolutely the max.
Fruit crisps (like this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp) are the again pocket dessert I flip to all summer time lengthy.
They’re a proper of summer time passage, a breeze to bake, and a pure pleasure to eat.
I particularly adore this recipe (and this Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler) on the top of the peach season.
If recent peaches haven’t reached you but, concern not, you should use frozen peaches to make this crisp too.
Whereas the peaches are the actual star of this fruit crisp, we even have to speak about topping—as a result of there’s loads of it!
In case you are of the perspective that an excessive amount of topping on a fruit crisp is just not a state of affairs that exists in actual life, then my good friend, that is the right peach crisp recipe for you (as is that this Cherry Crisp).
5 Star Overview
“Scrumptious!!! A brand new household favourite.”
— Sasha —
The opposite factor I like about fruit crisps? They’re additionally versatile and depart room for play.
- Along with swapping out the totally different fruits because the summer time goes on (Strawberry Crisp to kick off the season, Blackberry Crisp follows, then Crock Pot Apple Crisp brings us residence), I additionally tweak the topping.
- Strive including totally different nuts, spices, or extracts to make this recipe your personal. (If you happen to want some inspiration, maintain scrolling for just a few concepts within the “Recipe Variations” field.)
Crisp vs. Cobbler vs. Crumble
Crisps, cobblers, and crumbles are all members of the scrumptious household of simple fruit desserts that characteristic a bubbly fruit filling baked beneath a golden, buttery topping.
The phrases are sometimes used interchangeably, and all of them are delicious.
The distinction between a cobbler and a crisp lies within the pastry batter baked on high of the fruit.
- Crisp has a buttery, crumbly streusel-like topping comprised of butter, sugar, and oats. The topping is usually much less dense than a cobbler and can type a frivolously crispy “lid” throughout baking.
- Cobbler both makes use of a cake-like batter (like this Crock Pot Peach Cobbler) or a biscuit-style batter, relying on the recipe and the area. Typically, the batter is scattered in dollops over the fruit and can type a tough “crust” as soon as baked.
- Crumble has a topping comprised of merely flour, sugar, and butter; it doesn’t embody oats, so it’s normally denser than crisp.
Baked fruit desserts like crisps, cobblers, and crumbles are all scrumptious treats to make if in case you have peaches going unhealthy. Strive all of them!
Easy methods to Make Peach Crisp
As standard, I made just a few sneaky swaps to make this a wholesome peach crisp that I might not be ashamed of topping with yogurt for breakfast (ideally beside a Peach Smoothie or maybe Peach Pancakes).
I additionally stored the recipe as fuss-free as doable.
Relatively than slicing the butter into the dry substances, you stir the topping collectively on the range, making this crisp recipe simple in comparison with most.
Peach Filling Components
- Peaches. To match the outlandish quantity of topping, this crisp additionally presents a beneficiant portion of considered one of my biggest joys: recent summer time peaches. Plus, peaches are a superb supply of nutritional vitamins and fiber. (This Peach Upside Down Cake is one other peachy delight to attempt.)
- Honey. Provides only a contact of pure sweetness to our peach filling.
- Flour. It is a peach crisp with out cornstarch! As an alternative, old school all function flour helps thicken the peach filling to create heat, syrupy goodness.
- Lemon Zest. Brightens up all the opposite flavors.
- Vanilla + Nutmeg. These heat, cozy additions assist this wholesome peach crisp change into one thing extraordinary.
Crisp Topping Components
- Rolled Oats. A key ingredient for our crispy, nutty topping. The oats give the topping the right streusel texture (as seen on this Gluten Free Apple Crisp).
- Butter + Oil. The moisture and golden components within the crisp topping come from additional virgin olive oil and butter. The nuanced, frivolously grassy olive oil taste is gorgeous alongside the honey-sweet peaches.
- Entire Wheat Flour. Makes the topping just a little extra healthful than different traditional peach crisp recipes (e.g., Pioneer Lady, Ina Garten, Betty Crocker, and so forth.).
- Sugar + Cinnamon. A mix that everybody loves (as in these Baked Peaches)! These heat and candy additions complement the nutty and buttery flavors within the topping.
- Almonds. For max crunch, I additionally added sliced almonds. When you attempt them within the topping, you’ll by no means wish to make one with out them.
- Peel the peaches: Boil a giant pot of water and rating the underside of the peaches with an “X.”
- Boil the peaches for 1 minute, then plunge into an ice tub. Peel away the skins. Put aside.
At times, you’ll get a cussed peach that also gained’t peel and have to make use of a knife, by which case, you’ll deserve an additional serving of the completed peach crisp!
- Minimize the peeled peaches into wedges, and mix with the remaining filling substances.
- Soften the butter and add the topping substances.
- Switch the peach combination (with the juices) to a baking dish, and sprinkle with the topping. Bake peach crisp at 375 levels for 30 to 35 minutes, or till the topping is frivolously golden and the filling is scorching and bubbly. Take away, let cool barely, then serve. ENJOY!
After 20 minutes, chances are you’ll take away the peach crisp from the oven and loosely tent it with aluminum foil to guard it from over-browning. Then, return the crisp to the oven for the ultimate 10 to fifteen minutes.
- Peach Crisp with out Oats. If you happen to’d wish to make this with out oats, I’d counsel swapping them for a lowered quantity of extra white entire wheat flour. (Now you will have a peach crumble!)
- Peach Crisp with Berries. If you happen to occur to produce other fruit hanging out in your kitchen, don’t be afraid to throw it into the recipe. Peach and blueberry crisp or peach and raspberry crisp are two wonderful taste combos I like to recommend.
- To Make Gluten Free and Dairy Free. To make the peach crisp gluten free, you should use a 1:1 baking mix, like this one, or swap the apples for peaches as in my favourite Vegan Apple Crisp (which additionally occurs to be dairy free!).
- Vegan Peach Crisp. To make a vegan peach crisp, swap the honey for maple syrup and go for a vegan butter various (like Earth’s Stability) within the topping.
- To Retailer. Cowl the crisp, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers within the oven at 350 levels F till scorching. You may also reheat this recipe within the microwave, although the oven does a greater job crisping the topping again up.
- To Freeze. Retailer peach crisp in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
What to Serve with Peach Crisp
Rhubarb Swirl Buttermilk Ice Cream
Oat Milk Ice Cream
Banana Ice Cream
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Baking Dish
I like the standard of Staub ceramic baking dishes! Their porcelain-enamel end is scratch resistant, and so they retain warmth very nicely. Plus, they’re dishwasher-safe too!
Double the topping? Sounds simply peachy, in case you ask me!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
No. Nonetheless, my choice is to peel the peaches for baked peach recipes like this peach crisp as I discover the skins within the filling distracting. If the skins don’t trouble you, be at liberty to easily slice and pit the peaches and skip boiling and peeling.
Whereas it’s unimaginable to know exactly what could have precipitated your peach crisp to be runny with out being in your kitchen with you, there are just a few frequent culprits. First, enable the crisp to chill virtually fully earlier than serving, because the filling will thicken because the crisp cools. In any other case, measure the flour within the filling precisely as it’s critical for thickening the juices from the peaches.
Proceed with warning. I haven’t tried making peach crisp with canned peaches but, however I believe you would experiment in a pinch. Be aware that the crisp gained’t be as fresh-tasting as in case you use recent or frozen and the filling will likely be a lot softer. For finest outcomes, attempt peaches packed in pure fruit juice (versus syrup) and drain them first. In case your canned peaches are in syrup, nonetheless, I counsel lowering the honey within the filling, since they are going to be sweeter. If you happen to resolve to mess around with canned peaches, I’d love to listen to the way it goes!
Completely, you may make crisp with frozen peaches. Frozen peaches are likely to include just a little extra liquid than recent peaches. Subsequently, I like to recommend thawing the peaches first, then draining away among the extra liquid to attain a peach crisp with an identical consistency to my unique peach crisp recipe.
For the Peach Filling:
- 2 1/2 kilos peaches about 6-7 medium
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from about 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon floor nutmeg freshly grated if doable
For the Crisp Topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup mild additional virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup mild brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white entire wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup uncooked sliced almonds optionally available (you may also use roughly chopped pecans or walnuts)
- Vanilla or plain nonfat Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt for serving
Place rack within the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 levels F. Calmly coat a 9×9-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
To rapidly and simply peel the peaches, carry a really giant pot with sufficient water to cowl the peaches to a boil. Whereas the water involves a boil, put together an ice tub by putting a number of beneficiant handfuls of ice cubes in a big bowl after which filling it with chilly water.
With a small, sharp knife, rating the underside of the peaches with an “X.” As soon as the water is boiling, gently decrease half of the peaches into the water with a slotted spoon or tongs to guard your fingers. (You wish to add the peaches in two batches in order that the water temperature doesn’t quickly drop.) Boil for 1 minute.
With the spoon, take away peaches from the water and plunge into the ice tub to cease the cooking. The skins can now be simply slipped off together with your fingers. Repeat with remaining peaches. (Once in a while, you will get a cussed peach that also will not peel and have to make use of a knife.)
Minimize the peeled peaches into thick, 3/4-inch wedges (about 8 per peach, relying on the dimensions). Place the wedges in a medium bowl and stir within the honey, flour, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Put aside whilst you make the topping.
Put together the topping: In a medium saucepan, soften the butter and oil over medium warmth. Whisk within the brown sugar and granulated sugar till blended (The oil and butter will nonetheless be just a little separate from the sugar, however the sugar shouldn’t have any lumps). As soon as mixed, sprinkle within the oats, white entire wheat flour, cinnamon, and salt. Change to a rubber spatula and fold to mix, stirring till the substances are evenly moistened. The combination will likely be just a little crumbly. Final, stir within the almonds.
Give the peach filling combination just a few extra stirs, then switch it to the ready baking dish, together with any juices which have collected within the bowl. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
Place the crisp within the oven and bake for 20 minutes, then take away it from the oven and frivolously cowl it with aluminum foil to guard it from over-browning. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10-Quarter-hour or till the topping is frivolously golden and the filling is scorching and bubbly. Take away, let cool, then serve heat topped with ice cream or Greek yogurt.
- TO STORE: Cowl the crisp, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers within the oven at 350 levels F till scorching. You may also reheat this recipe within the microwave, although the oven does a greater job crisping the topping again up.
- TO FREEZE: Retailer peach crisp in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- RECIPE VARIATION: You may also make this recipe with plums, cherries, blueberries, or a mixture!
- TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Use a 1:1 baking mix like this one.
Serving: 1(of 8); with out ice cream or Greek yogurtEnergy: 392kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 7gFats: 18gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 15mgPotassium: 305mgFiber: 6gSugar: 33gVitamin A: 640IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Listed below are extra of my favourite recent summer time peach recipes: