Lactobacillus gasseri, L. gasseri, is without doubt one of the most essential gastrointestinal (GI) microbes of the thousand or so species within the human intestinal microbiome. It’s possible a “keystone” species, i.e., a species that’s essential for the proliferation and metabolism of quite a few different microbes, maybe even the composition of all the GI microbiome. And, like Lactobacillus reuteri, it’s a microbe that many people have misplaced because of antibiotics and different components.
The important thing options that make L. gasseri a standout amongst microbes contains its capability to 1) colonize the higher GI tract, and a pair of) produce bacteriocins, pure antibiotics efficient towards species corresponding to E. coli, Klebsiella, and Staphylococcus, the species of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, SIBO. It’s my suspicion that widespread publicity to antibiotics and different components which have decreased or eradicated essential species like L. gasseri and L. reuteri that colonize the higher GI tract and produce bacteriocins are main components accountable for the epidemic of SIBO that, by my calculations, afflict 1 in 3 Individuals or >100 million folks. Restoration of those two microbes can subsequently be a part of the answer as we do in my recipe for SIBO Yogurt (recipe in Tremendous Intestine: industrial sources, fermenting temperature, collection of prebiotic fiber).
However L. gasseri shines for different causes, additionally. Among the many observations made with this microbe (numerous strains):
- L. gasseri reduces perceived results of stress
- L. gasseri reduces visceral fats and reduces waist circumference. Two human research with two completely different strains of L. gasseri have reported this impact. Whereas some speculate that that is achieved via elevated fats oxidation (fats “burning”), I suggest that it’s as a result of discount in LPS endotoxemia from its upper-GI colonizing and bacteriocin-producing results.
- L. gasseri reduces bothersome “scorching flashes,” i.e., the vasomotor signs of menopause. It additionally improves a girl’s menopausal psychological standing.
- L. gasseri reduces the signs of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As soon as once more, I consider that L. gasseri’s distinctive talents cut back the higher GI infestation of SIBO microbes accountable for many circumstances of IBS.
- L. gasseri reduces signs of useful dyspepsia, i.e., “heartburn” after a meal.
- Preliminary proof means that L. gasseri might cut back uric acid and oxalate ranges.
- Preliminary proof means that L. gasseri can cut back cognitive impairment.
- Preliminary proof means that L. gasseri suppresses Candida albicans overgrowth.
These are the results of only one microbe.
Are you gaining an appreciation for the extraordinary energy we’ve in reconstructing a wholesome microbiome? For these of you interested by changing this misplaced microbe, the proof is greatest for the BNR17 pressure out there commercially that we then use to ferment meals corresponding to natural half-and-half for 36 hours to generate lots of of billions of microbial counts for bigger organic results.