This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please learn my disclosure.
Sourdough muffins are excellent for a straightforward breakfast or afternoon snack. They’re made with an lively sourdough starter, giving them a scrumptious sourdough taste! Full of recent blueberries, lemon zest, and almond milk and topped with a crumbly sugar combination — that is positive to develop into one in every of your favourite recipes!
This straightforward recipe for sourdough blueberry muffins are excellent for a seize and go breakfast or a wholesome snack. It’s additionally a fantastic recipe for utilizing up any further leftover sourdough starter you may need readily available!
Newest Recipe Video!
This recipe can simply be made to suit your preferences by including mix-ins or substituting different substances!
You possibly can preserve them recent for a few days after baking them or give them away as items to your family and friends. It received’t be lengthy till you’re requested to make them once more!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Simple muffins
- Sourdough discard recipe
- Nice texture
- Household favourite
- Excellent afternoon snack
- More healthy choice
- The very best sourdough muffins you’ll ever style!
This recipe requires just some fundamental substances, simply discovered at your grocery retailer!
Flours: All-purpose flour is one of the best ways to get nice texture with every chunk of those muffins. Entire wheat flour is a good way to get further fiber and add some entire grains to your food plan.
Leaveners: Baking soda and baking powder assist these scrumptious muffins rise together with the leftover sourdough starter.
Sugar: Granulated white sugar is ideal for this household favourite recipe. You possibly can substitute different pure sugars for those who’d like.
Salt: Salt enhances the flavors, brings out the sweetness, and balances the opposite substances.
Sourdough Starter Discard: Whether or not you make your personal sourdough starter by the fermentation course of or are gifted an lively starter with a starter prepare, you should use it for this muffin recipe. These muffins have a slight sourdough taste that makes for one of the best muffins.
Eggs: This sourdough recipe wants eggs or an egg substitute to assist the combination mix and rise.
Butter: Use unsalted butter for these sourdough blueberry muffins so you may management the salt within the recipe.
Lemon zest: A bit little bit of lemon zest enhances the recent blueberries splendidly.
Vanilla Extract: Use one of the best vanilla extract you could find on the grocery retailer or make your personal at house.
Almond Milk: You possibly can substitute almond milk for entire milk, uncooked milk, bitter cream, or buttermilk.
Blueberries: Recent blueberries are a superb taste addition to this wonderful recipe. Frozen blueberries would additionally work. Be at liberty to switch them with a distinct fruit (see variations under!)
Topping Substances: Flour, sugar, and butter are mixed in a medium bowl to make a topping that you just sprinkle over the muffin tin proper earlier than popping the batter within the oven.
You possibly can simply alter these straightforward sourdough muffins to suit your particular dietary wants, desires, or necessities. Listed here are some scrumptious choices so that you can select from!
- Combine-Ins: Add different substances to this blueberry sourdough muffins recipe like chocolate chips, apples or different recent fruit, heat spices like cardamom or all spice, or totally different extracts like lemon extract, almond extract, and so on.
- Sourdough Cinnamon Muffins: Add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the batter, and sprinkle some floor cinnamon on prime!
- Sourdough Pumpkin Muffins: Use 1/2 cup pumpkin puree as an alternative of the two eggs on this recipe! You’ll find yourself with blueberry pumpkin muffins!
- Sourdough Banana Muffins: Use 1/2 cup banana puree as an alternative of the two eggs on this recipe for a banana bread impressed muffin.
- Sugar: Change the granulated white sugar with maple syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or honey if you’d like a extra pure sweetener. You can even reduce the sugar in half to make a more healthy muffin!
- Fats: Substitute a distinct form of fats for the butter. Some choices are avocado oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil, or canola oil.
- Gluten Free Sourdough Blueberry Muffins: Simply use 1:1 gluten-free flour to make these muffins gluten free! I like Bob’s Purple Mill 1:1 Baking Flour.
- Make It Vegan: You may make this recipe vegan by changing the eggs with vegan egg substitute and the butter with further virgin olive oil or vegan butter.
Here’s a temporary description of the recipe. To see the full recipe, see the recipe card under.
Put together the muffin tray: Line a 12 gap muffin pan with muffin liners. Mix the topping: In a small bowl, add the topping substances. Use a fork to mix to kind a crumble. Put aside.
Combine the dry substances: In a big mixing bowl, combine collectively the flours, baking powder, and soda, together with the sugar and salt. Whisk till effectively mixed.
Combine the moist substances: In a separate bowl, add the lively starter, two eggs, melted butter, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and almond milk. Whisk till clean.
Mix the moist and dry substances: Pour the moist substances into the flour combination and the recent blueberries. Gently fold within the combination with a picket spoon till mixed. Don’t over combine the batter.
Bake: Evenly divide the muffin batter amongst 12 muffin liners.
Sprinkle the ready topping combination over every of the cupcakes.
Place the muffins into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or till an inserted skewer comes out clear.
Cool and serve: Switch to a wire rack and serve.
Preserve any leftover muffins in an hermetic container on the counter for 3 days.
You can even freeze the muffins. Enable them to chill to room temperature, wrap them in plastic wrap, place them in a zip-top bag, and put the bag within the freezer. Bear in mind to put in writing the label and date on the skin of the bag with a everlasting marker so that you bear in mind what you’ve frozen later.
The blueberry taste of those muffins is ideal for breakfast or a day snack. These sourdough blueberry muffins are a scrumptious technique to begin your day.
Serve them alongside espresso or tea, alongside a bigger brunch unfold with scrambles and pancakes, or get pleasure from all of them on their very own!
The most probably cause your muffins didn’t rise is that your baking powder & baking soda are too outdated. When baking these muffins, remember to fill the muffin pan about ⅓ of the way in which to the highest and set the oven to a excessive temperature. Ensure that your baking powder & baking soda are freshly opened. The recent mixture of the 2 rising brokers and the excessive warmth will drive the muffins to rise extra shortly, creating air pockets that make them tall muffins.
The reply is: it relies upon! In the event you pack these tender muffins filled with refined flour and sugar, then they aren’t wholesome. However my recipe for wholesome sourdough muffins makes use of entire wheat flour for extra fiber, has a low sugar choice, and are stuffed with antioxidant-rich blueberries. On prime of that, you get to make use of your personal sourdough starter with this recipe. These are a more healthy choice than many different muffin recipes on the market!
💭 Skilled Suggestions
- Make certain your sourdough starter is bubbly and lively. If it’s not, feed it the day earlier than you intend to make use of it (however not proper earlier than you employ it).
- Sourdough starter may be both discard or ripe starter, both will work effectively.
- Make a crunchy topping relatively than crumbly topping by leaving out the flour and sprinkling the tops of the muffins with uncooked sugar.
- If the batter is simply too thick, add one or two tablespoons of entire milk. It is a nice technique to skinny it out a little bit bit.
- Don’t use paper liners if you’d like the underside of the muffins to get brown.
🧁 Extra Muffin Recipes!
📋 Recipe Card
Sourdough muffins are excellent for a straightforward breakfast or afternoon snack. They’re made with an lively sourdough starter, giving them a scrumptious sourdough taste! Full of recent blueberries, lemon zest, and almond milk and topped with a crumbly sugar combination — that is positive to develop into your new favourite recipe!
- Dietary info calculated utilizing decrease sugar values talked about within the substances record above. With the total quantity of sugar, every muffin could have 20 grams of sugar.
- Sourdough starter may be both discard or ripe starter, both will work effectively.
- Recent or frozen blueberries work effectively on this recipe.
- Substitute the flours for gluten-free flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Muffins may be saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or frozen for as much as 3 months.
Serving: 1muffin | Energy: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 118mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g